Snowbound in Rome

There were pleasant whiffs of mountain air for the last few days…

… and we finally woke up this morning to a snow-covered city, with blurry snowflakes that kept falling till about 10 am.

Beautiful scenery, except that Rome is the most climate-challenged capital in Europe. Last night, considering the weather forecast, the Municipality ordered all schools to remain closed today. It sounded rather ridiculous and excessive at the time but was the right call, as the total snowfall of about 10 centimeters has completely blocked Rome this morning!

The City has no salt reserves to sprinkle on roads, no snowplows, only a few buses have snow-tires and most private cars don’t. Besides, by daybreak all tram lines but one were at a standstill because of fallen tree branches obstructing the rails, or in various cases simply (badly) parked cars.

Flights from Fiumicino resumed by late morning, but forget the train stations.

Little kids were having a ball sledding down the city’s great many hills and parks, and the only people who made it to work were those a short walk away from their offices, or those with a nearby metro station.

The official line is “don’t go anywhere” unless you really really have to.

Oh, and Ms. Mayor’s in Mexico… attending a Climate Change conference.

No worries though, mid-morning  the army was called in to start cleaning up the roads. And yes, they’re bringing their own shovels.

Tomorrow should be interesting too, when all this freezes over.

Photos 14thcountry.com Rome Feb. 26 2018

This entry was posted in Blogging, Environment, Italy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Snowbound in Rome

1. I love the snapshots of your everyday life. Always great details that keep me reading to the end!

Thanks Catherine. I hesitated, thinking I should put more… attractive? pictures. But everyday was indeed what the post is about 🙂

• Your writing paints the pictures for me! You have 3 images in this post. That works. I use a theme that lets me set a featured picture and another to kick off the post. I create memes too–which helps when I cannot take pics. Email me if you’re interested in an easy way to do that. Bottom line: I come here to read!

Good advice, I’ll ask you for more details further along the line 🙂

2. equipsblog says:

What a fun post. Great pictures. Guess you were also visited by the Beast from the East.

3. Lovely photos😊

4. nananoyz says:

Quite an adventure!

5. Kally says:

Welcome back! Been missing you. Love your snowy photos.

The irony of your mayor being at a climate conference was great. You’ve run out of salt? Once in a blue moon that happens here, but in the New York/New England area we are inundated with snow and ice all winter so are well-prepared here. How is the current water situation?

7. roninjax says:

I love snow photos. Being in Florida we don’t experience much of it though. I’m sure I would not like it as much if I had to shovel it regularly or drive in it. We had some snow years ago and everything pretty much came to a stand-still. It does create some excitement in communities as families spend a little time together and play.

Yes, with school out lots of families were out together. It was a fun day, but as there’s quite a bit of snow left in most streets, tomorrow may turn out to be a skating rink 😦

8. Hi Bea – thanks for sharing the scenes of your “winter wonderland.” Looks just like Boston after a snowstorm. 🙂

9. M. L. Kappa says:

Sounds like fun! Actually, sounds like Athens…

10. Snow looks lovely in the trees.