Cold snap in Rome

It looked like a warm early spring and most Romans have put away their winter clothes. Yet now we have a cold snap, and many are looking pale, chilled and unhappy. But Roman “cold” is rather relative. Cold snaps I read about in many international blogposts involve storms, hurricanes and more often than not, taking out the snow shovels just to manage getting out of the house.

I just saw great pictures of the coast somewhere up in Newfoundland where it’s really cold, with a huge, gorgeous iceberg flowing by.

That’s not exactly what we have here. Here we had perfect sunshine on a clear blue sky today, though a coldish (6°C) wind’s blowing moderately hard, and in some places in Rome you find your windshield frozen over mornings when you’re already late for work. That’s just about it. Besides, in the sun, it warms up to about 15°C around lunchtime, then evening temperatures drop again. You snow-shovel people are probably laughing.

The point is, complaining about the weather is a typical Roman pastime, which is absurd when you think we’re one of the European capitals with the reputation for having the most clement weather of all. True, though it’s also an exaggeration that leads tourists to flock here all-year-long expecting to bask in the sunshine in T-shirts and shorts. Which, apart from being uncouth when visiting art-filled churches, is often unwise: many catch their deaths of a cold.

Locals’ weather complaints also involve serious week-long study of upcoming weekends and feeling victimized whenever it’s forecast to get even just a bit cloudy.  Weekend rain rates as a tragedy. In fact, Romans typically tend to start off the year with a calendar to study the logistics of all the possible “official” long weekend holidays, together with long-range weather forecasts.

2017 is a pretty good year:  we just had a three-day Easter break, this next weekend will probably see many people going off for a good four days as Tuesday’s a national holiday and Monday is considered an automatic no-work “bridge” (“ponte”, the Italian word for it). The weekend after that will stretch too, as Italy celebrates International Workers’ Day on a Monday.

Lots of bridges, so life is good despite … the cold.

photos: 14thcountry.com  : bridge; http://www.cbc.ca/news :  iceberg; http://www.freepik.com : calendar

This entry was posted in Blogging, Cultural, Environment, Humour, Italy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Cold snap in Rome

1. Really loved this. How I adore the bridges spanning European rivers/cities. A lovely shot and read. Thank you!

I thought only the British complained about the weather, lol. I saw the same picture of the glacier off the coast of Newfoundland. Crazy.

3. herschelian says:

It makes me laugh to hear that Romans habitually moan about the weather – I thought it was just the Brits who endlessly went on about weather. Now that I live in China I’ve discovered that the Chinese do the same..when my Chinese teacher arrives its always the first thing she goes on about, Beijing taxi drivers likewise …it must be a universal trait!

Even the Chinese? Then it’s definitely a sign of the affluent times, people were more no-nonsense when things weren’t so good…

4. BeautLotus says:

Tuesday 25 April is a public holiday in Australia, too… I’ll be at work, but hoping it will be a relatively relaxed day.

The weather is a constant source of commentary/complaint here, too. I think it’s usually a thing in places where the people are relatively comfortable. We grumble about the weather because all the other things are sorted (food, water and shelter).

Yes, I agree, basics are there for the majority – though not all – in our countries. Specially when you compare with war-torn, climate change-torn and most developing countries.

5. Ellen Hawley says:

I wonder if we should organize a complaining-about-the-weather olympics and see who wins, the Romans or the British.

6. Charmion Carroll says:

Cold snaps seem to be pretty much European at this time. Here in Montelimar (who apart from the French has ever heard of the place), we also are suffering, with very strong and gusty Mistral winds. The poor bees are having a very hard time trying to pollinate the acacia flowers in our garden. Both the bees and the flowers are being blown all over the place. Heating in the homes is still very much on.

But I seem to remember Montélimar is famous for its yummy nougat, no? I feel sorry for the bees, but glad you’ve got heating. We don’t, and tonight’s meant to drop to 4° C.