Suburban pumpkins, Harleys and a museum

dsc01858

Back in Rome after a couple of weeks in the USA, everything feels smaller here. Even street-art colours were more exhuberant there. Here we’re cramped for space, streets are narrower, there’s less green and above all less sky.  In the USA, the sky looked wider, high and vast, and swaths of clouds all shapes and sizes moved along all day as if on a stage.

dsc02228

Change in motion. At least in Illinois and Wisconsin in this late summer season.

Supermarkets are huge there. Here we have mainly foreign-owned ones that can get pretty big, but never as daunting. I was mesmerized by the pumpkin sea of orange in the entrance to the nearest supermarket, found my favourite cereal after half an hour, but then had to go back three days running before finding the peanut butter section. Don’t laugh: we all relate to comfort food from our childhood. After all, food is part of what defines the US, and not as its detractors would have it, only its junk-food.

img_20160907_182549

The variety of food, basic ingredients, staples, drinks and vegetables and fruit, from fresh produce and meat to canned, pre-cooked, cooked hot and frozen, is staggering and borderline immoral when you think of things like hunger in the world? But what’s wonderful is how multi-cultural it is everywhere, you can find whatever you crave under the sun, and eat it at whatever time you choose. It’s so different here in Italy, where although Chinese and Japanese have made inroads, restaurant fare is almost always traditional Italian. Lunch and dinner times are rigidly defined, and for most Italians, meals still revolve around the concept of primo e secondo – throw in antipasto on a weekend –  and you just don’t mix basic flavours either. Snailpace, it’s starting to evolve, but don’t ever let anyone catch you having pasta as a side dish for your meat or fish.,,

I had my first experience of life in the suburbs in the USA. You’ve probably watched dozens of movies with action set along really large roads flanked by low or two-level houses with multiple garage doors and huge gardens? Well, they won’t quite prepare you for the actual feeling of ongoing space, well-manicured lawns and ponds alternating with sprawls of natural woods, and silence as the backdrop to the rhythmed purr of passing cars.

img_20160908_173933

I thought I’d see lots of joggers, but I turned out to be one of the only people getting around on foot. Funny because the nearby village gym had rows of cars parked in front, and you could see people working out hard on treadmills through the windows.

Driving short and long distance is a way of life there. Here petrol is expensive.

My major gripe was with air-conditioning. It’s kept at insanely low temperatures there, and I nearly caught my death of a cold with all that Artic air blowing around. Everywhere. To hear them, the locals have incredibly low tolerance for even pleasent balmy weather.  On one hand they’re wasting energy and accelerating the onset of climate warming, on the other they’ll be extraordinarily unfit to cope with hot climes when our whole post-industrial system finally does collapse…

dsc01828

I was taken to places I’d never considered before. On the drive up to Wisconsin, you pass through lovely low-hill country, with lakes big and small, and occasional orchards that sell their produce directly. Though some places were touted as holiday locations, they weren’t as crowded as they get here in Italy: again, more space to spread people over.

We overnighted in Waukesha, a relatively sedate mid-sized town in Wisconsin with apparent quality of life, even though it wasn’t off the grid with its waves of Pokemon-playing children and adults running around.

dsc01948

I finally figured why there were so many Harley-Davidsons -they’re made in neighbouring Milwaukee that also hosts their iconic historic museum. An early evening curbside dinner in dowtown Waukesha across from vrooming Harleys and their laid-back owners was very much my idea of the US. Here In Rome, mopeds and motorcycles aren’t for leisure: aggressive riders are in attack mode as they swarm through our often lethal traffic wars.

Next day, we visited Milwaukee. I knew they made beer there – divine! But I didn’t know it also has its world-class Milwaukee Art Museum designed by Santiago Calatrava. The Spanish architect is famous for his almost impossibly airy designs of bridges and railway stations, and this building, with its opening and closing wings is a thing of beauty.

onmilwaukee-com-photo-onasill-bill-badzo

Some of his projects have been developed in Italy too, bridges in Venice and Emilia Romagna, a train station too, and a scandal-ridden sports center in Rome has been on hold for over a decade. None of these are as engineeringly ambitious as the stunning Milwaukee museum that literally tries to soar into the sky twice a day.

Have you ever had unexpected impressions visiting places that weren’t really on your bucket-list?

Photos: flower street art, sky, pumpkin stall,  suburban house, apple orchard, downtown at night ©14thcountry.com;   Milwaukee Art Museum: Onasil – Bill Badzo;

This entry was posted in Blogging, Cultural, Food and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Suburban pumpkins, Harleys and a museum

1. Ann says:

Great post! As an American who has spent 9 years living abroad, I love your insights, and they ring so true. It’s crazy frustrating that Americans drive everywhete– we need to invest in more walking communities, paths to walkable shopping, workspaces, etc. Also, I can’t get over dressing for a balmy day, only to freeze to death when I walk into a building and the air conditioning is set to “arctic.” Where’s the sense, or sustainability, in that? I love America and Americans, but we do get many things wrong . . .and we’re beginning to pay a steep price. (Obesity?) There’s a love of convenience culture here, but I don’t think it’s a very healthy, or even satisfying, way to live. My kids sure are having a hard time adjusting to being back.
    Thanks for being a smart observer, and always an interesting read.

Thanks for dropping by and commenting, I’m glad my impressions ring true to someone who’s lived both sides of the big pond. I just trolled around your posts which are very insightful and varied .. all interesting reads too 🙂

2. Joel F says:

Wow, you’ve been to those beautiful quaint places. . I love the pumpkin photo and your insightful observation about those places. Thanks for sharing

3. Bea, I love hearing your prospective and hearing so much from you and your travels. Thanks have a wonderful day.

4. Ellen Hawley says:

1. American air conditioning has two setting: too cold and off. Forget comfortable temperatures–they’re not available.
    2. One (of many) reasons that people don’t walk in the suburbs is that so many of them don’t have sidewalks. Why not? Because it’s cheaper. Another reason is that they’re so spread out–not to mention boring–that even seasoned walkers give up hope. They don’t really offer anyplace to walk to.

I agree about the A/C, but in the suburbs I was in there were actually sidewalks to share with bicycles. The thrill of being somewhere so different and “exotic” made walks fun anyway 🙂

5. eurobrat says:

I remember feeling overwhelmed by all that space when we first moved to the States. Now I love it and feel somewhat claustrophobic when I visit Poland. And yeah, the office I work in keeps the A/C at ridiculously high levels all summer long. I shouldn’t have to wear a jacket at my desk in July! Besides contributing to that carbon footprint thing, it causes migraines, sinus infections… But as cubicle drones, we have very little say over what happens in our huge building 🙂

Glad to hear from you again, though I’m sorry about the July jacket! I didn’t mention it, but a touch of claustrophoby on returning home is part of it 🙂

6. andysmerdon says:

haha – I can relate to the peanut butter search – my favourite comfort food too, and I am always relieved to find a jar in a grocery store and excited to try that countries brand 🙂 I love the pic of the clouds and the Milwaukee Art Museum gives me another reason, other than Harleys, to visit that town. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Ha! a fellow peanut butter freak! Actually I also discovered almond butter, which tastes almost the same, but a bit smoother 🙂 I like that you enjoyed this, your posts invariably offer up bursts of visual and poetic beauty

7. Bun Karyudo says:

It seems there’s nowhere in the world to escape from the invasion of the Pokemon.

I’d read about it but thought it was only in major cities. I find the idea of these millions of people just (blindly?) following cues produced by …. who? very disturbing… Brings to mind cartoons with sheep following the leader off a cliff. Hopefully not 🙂

8. roninjax says:

Great interpretations and observations. I’m traveling in north USA now. There is remarkable difference between south USA and north USA. Yes there are all cultures and walks of life throughout with worldwide influences – good and bad. So many freedoms but unfortunately they are eroding due to irresponsibility of masses. Glad you had safe travels.

What a nice picture you paint. Yes, everything in the US does seem BIG when you’ve been elsewhere for a while. The first thing that I notice when I get off the plane in the US after I’ve been in Paris for a while is the sky stretched out so, so far….

10. Suddenly Jamie (@suddenlyjamie) says:

Thank you for sharing some of your observations and thoughts. As someone who lives in the U.S., albeit in a small, New England town, I really appreciate the perspective you’ve provided in this post. We forget far too easily just how much we have to be grateful for in this land of abundance. Thanks for providing the chance to see a corner of this country through an outsider’s eyes.

In the midst of all the political and social turmoil, the US is still a place of wonder for most outsiders. We can only hope that humans worldwide will learn to manage the abundance more sustainably in the future …

• Suddenly Jamie (@suddenlyjamie) says:

I couldn’t agree more, Bea. There is wonder and awe, but also wonder as in scratching your head. We can always do better. Thanks again for sharing.