Three Day Quote Challenge : Day 1 “on reading and writing”

IMG_20151217_074116 (1)

The challenge was sent to me by Saloni at Vintage Sapience: check out the blog that has unusual art, aesthetics and poems! I’ve focused on “reading and writing” today.

The Challenge rules:

• post for 3 consecutive days
  • you can pick one or three quotes per day
  • challenge three different bloggers per day

All these quotes are from Doring Lessing:

“Anna, there’s something very arrogant about insisting on the right to be right.”

“Think wrongly if you please, but in all cases, think for yourself.”

Doris Lessing is my favourite author, and her writings spanned a whole lifetime – from when she was a teenager to her death at the age of 94.

Her works are a monument to a lifetime of writing, in which she spanned all genres. Year after year I wondered why she wasn’t awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature and when it finally happened in 2007, it gave rise to one of her famous quotes. Getting out of a taxi in front of her house on her way back from shopping, she found out about the prize when she was assailed by a gaggle of TV reporters. Her reaction? “Oh Christ!”.

I nominate the following for this Challenge!

IMG_20151217_074116 (1)

julieangelos.com

saneteachers.com

infinitebelly.com

This entry was posted in Blogging and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Three Day Quote Challenge : Day 1 “on reading and writing”

1. Hi Brea, thank you so much for including us in your challenge!

I decided to research some quotes related to our common obsession: food.

“Wine is a living liquid containing no preservatives. Its life cycle comprises youth, maturity, old age, and death. When not treated with reasonable respect it will sicken and die.”
    Julia Child

“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
    Virginia Woolf, A Room of One’s Own

“In Europe we thought of wine as something as healthy and normal as food and also a great giver of happiness and well being and delight. Drinking wine was not a snobbism nor a sign of sophistication nor a cult; it was as natural as eating and to me as necessary.”
    Ernest Hemingway

What I like about these quotes is that they all talk about how the care that we put into our food and wine is synonymous with taking care of ourselves. There is a life cycle for each type of food, a time and place and season to eat certain things. Here in France I’ve talked to people with all kinds of backgrounds that care equally about eating good food, it’s a national passion. But it’s also something anyone can identify with, regardless of culture. So here’s to putting thought and care into our food and enjoying many delicious meals with family and friends these coming weeks!

• I meant Bea of course!!

hi and thanks! this was exactly the type of quote I was hoping you’d come up with! I got my food “education” here in Italy, it took me years to start really appreciating good meals and wine. Nowadays, so many things about the local culture drive me up the wall, and the one great saving factor is the pleasure you can find around a table in any of hundreds of medieval hilltop villages. With a gorgeous view, to boot 🙂

Thank you for including me in saneteachers.com for this challenge! I don’t usually participate in awards or challenges, but I can’t resist commenting on the first one. “Remember that the book which bores you when you are twenty or thirty will open doors for you when you are forty or fifty-and vise versa. Don’t read a book out of its right time for you.” Man, has this given me something to think about. I tend to be all or nothing about a book. I have read Jane Eyre in college (and hated it), as an older adult (and hated it), and tried it again recently but put it down. Conversely, I have read Anna Karenina at least 3 times as well and absolutely loved it. Until the last reading. And I thought “Why did I ever like this?” Which, I guess, proves the point of this quote.

One of my favorite quotes is from the Holden Caulfield character in “Catcher in the Rye,” a book I hated and I get annoyed just thinking about Holden Caulfield. But I’ve never forgotten this quote:
    “What really knocks me out is a book that, when you’re all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it.” And about this, I agree completely with Holden Caulfield and have to thank J.D.Salinger

hi and thanks for making the exception. I’m not crazy about challenges, but this one was fun and useful to do a bit of concrete reminiscing. Jane Eyre I loved as a teenager, and with Tolstoy, it’s War and Peace I finally enjoyed a few years ago. Holden Caulfield was a cult thing with a group of friends, we’d throw dialogue at each other at the slightest provocation, and now …. I wonder what all that was about 🙂

• Barb Knowles says:

I still read almost constantly. But being enamored with Shakespeare, Dickens and the like have been replaced with Michael Connolly, John Grisham and the current popular writers. Actually, I still read Dickens and still love Thomas Hardy. But I’ll leap over people to read about Harry Bosch and Jack Reacher, who I wish were people whose lives intersected with mine. Sans the murder and corruption, haha.

I’ve just finished a Michael Connolly 🙂

3. jbuliesblog says:

Day 2 Three quotes, three posts, three bloggers challenge.

Here we go! Hello there friends in the blog world if you are reading these words. My name is Julie and I started my blog sometime ago. I will never forget the first time I published and was so afraid of reader feedback I hardly slept. When I woke, I had my first two comments, from a doctor in North Carolina who was so kind and his friend. I will always be thankful for that. Always. It’s just nice to know that writers can write and support each other’s efforts.

Which brings me to quote one, and I don’t know who to attribute it to, but said, all wars could be settled on paper. I think what that means is that the world needs more writers.

Reading your comments above, I am quite certain I am the only person in the world who cannot stand Pride and Prejudice. The whole white horse prince idea just gets to me. I’m more of a live in the moment kind of person, be your own prince if that makes sense. No quote there.

Two I love are Gandhi and Einstein. Gandhi who said, Be the change you want to see and Einstein who said, The most important decision we make is whether we believe we live in a friendly or hostile universe. I think it has to do with keeping your thoughts positive.

Thanks again Bea! I enjoyed this.

Julie thanks for sharing your beginnings, knowing you’ve come such a long way, and for the powerful quotes. However, I do like “Be your own prince”, makes great sense!

4. Thanks for sharing, these are great for introspection as well as inspiration…

5. jbuliesblog says:

ahh! Thank you so much for inspiring me and edging me on to write one post a day for three days. I’m not certain if I understand the challenge exactly but I will at least try to post three times in three days. Do you mind if I post here? It is sometimes fun for me to find my writings later when visiting my friends blogs!

The theme is favorite quotes, right? I have a lifetime worth of them. One of my favourites is Mark Twain who talks about statistics. Seeing how many writers like to talk about how many visitors they have, I recently came across this one: There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. It just makes me laugh.

Another one that started me blogging was one by Lewis Carroll, ‘But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ said Alice. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the cat. ‘We’re all mad here.’ That makes me think a lot about online publishing and real life too. I suppose it is important to just have fun.

One quote that has been my constant inspiration is Napoleon Hill who said, Do what you can where you are. I believe he is the one who said that, but it seems like a good starting place.

Happy day my friend!

Julie

Julie hi, thanks lots for taking up the challenge with all these great quotes, you’re more than welcome here! Funny you should quote Mark Twain, so did one of my good blog-pals from zipfslaw 🙂 I do like “We’re all mad here”, very apt for our crazy times.. and blogs 🙂

6. Saloni says:

Well, these are great! Thanks for taking forward the challenge.

Here’s one of my favorite quotes on writing and writers. It’s from Mark Twain:

” I often want to criticize Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can’t conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Every time I read Pride and Prejudice I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.”

I love it because I am absolutely addicted to Jane Austen and have been for years, and “every time I read Pride and Prejudice” implies that Twain read it multiple times, which kinda belies the claim that he hated it. I guess that being “maddened” by something is not the same as hating it, per se…

hi, thanks for a great quote. People you adore and have a strong connection to can “madden” you – look at spouses! – but if you “hate” them it’s an antagonistic lack of connection. Though as an expression, it’s often just a hyperbole…